sexta-feira, 25 de novembro de 2005

Pobreza nos pântanos

New Yorker | Letter From Louisiana: Shelter From The Storm

Vale mesmo a pena ler este artigo. Fala do impacto dos desalojados do furacão que assolou Nova Orleães nas comunidades que os acolheram, e também das tristes histórias de vida dos habitantes pobres da cidade inundada.

Este parágrafo chocou-me, pela sua universalidade:
"I have a mother and a lil brother that’s down here in Bayou Black Gym and that’s why I am writing this to dedicate to them that I will always have them in mimory and I will try to keep in touch with them the best way that I can. But I also hope in pray that they never forget about me. I would want my lilbrother to always knoww that I will always be his big sister, and I will want my mother to know I was her baby girl.

Then, using the largest font she could find, she typed the word “love.” A few minutes later, she watched as her mother peered into the computer screen, mouth tight, and then looked over the screen to a box of walkie-talkies behind the computer. “Oh, I’ve been wanting one of these,” Jasmine’s mother said, pulling one out and examining it intently. “Might be fixing to take it,” she said, as she walked out the door.


A rapariga que sobre a qual este parágrafo foi escrito vivia num ghetto, sem perspectivas de futuro, sem acompanhamento da mãe, com um péssimo percurso escolar. O acolhimento numa comunidade mais afluente mostrou-lhe novos horizontes - melhorou o percurso escolar, e saiu de casa da mãe. Esta é uma das muitas histórias de vida retratadas no artigo

E porque é que em portugal não há jornalismo deste? Já houve, nos tempos em que as opiniões do Miguel Sousa Tavares valiam a pena ser lidas na Grande Reportagem.